Dileep Mouleesha

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Down Memory Lane


“Dileep, it’s like this only as you get old” consoled my mother. “Ma, is 25 an age to say old?” I quizzed and erupted “It must be an injury I am carrying from last week’s run. I am healthy like a horse!”

Sitting at my desk, on a mundane Thursday afternoon I am reflecting on what my mother said. 25 years has been a pleasant journey. I guess I am at a point where I am officially allowed to quip “Those were the good old days.”

But when really did these “good old days” begin?

My first recollection of life is: me wearing a blue Tees and shorts (from which my thighs were bulging out to get a breath of fresh air); standing in front of a lady who was asking me what my name was repeatedly and I was standing blank as a white board as if I had seen a ghost. I vividly remember her sitting on a wooden stool and asking me one last time “Deepu, what is your name?” I was being interviewed to be admitted to my alma mater. Don’t know how I managed to clear the interview without opening my mouth, but I did.

Or hey! Was it when I was running behind my pet dog in the garden and it for no rhyme nor reason turned around started chasing me. I conceded defeat real soon, when she plunged, nailed me on the lawn and licked me while I endlessly giggled. That evening Jimmy and I smelt the same. I don’t remember the horror in my mother’s eyes when she saw me but I bet that would have been a sight to treasure.

Wait! Or was it when my mum took me to the Puja room and urged biting her teeth “Dileep, don’t lie. You are no longer a child. You are a big boy and are 5 years old now. God keeps track of everything you do and writes in a book all the wrong deeds you did after you became Five.” That is the first time I think I was scared, but I am sure I must have lied that the chalks were broken before I took them.

Whichever was the first incident, it doesn’t really matter I guess. But boy! Those were the good old days.

3 Comments:

  • Hey dude… good one

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:05 AM  

    Rights reserved for the author.

  • Dileep,

    Really you have grown up from mama’s kid
    Very nice article.. Reminded my childhood days. Keep writing..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:07 AM  

    Rights reserved for the author.

  • have been reading your posts regularly, and dont know if i should be alarmed or happy that we seem to be passing through the exact same situations and more so the emotions that go with it.
    Like Salim Sinai and India - if you didnt get that let me know.

    I remember that interview to get into school, the first terrifying memmory of life, second was dad threatening to take me to a psychologist to get me to tell the truth, have been intimidated by them ever since.

    Lately been faced with umpteen situations that seem to remind me of my age, and the responsibility that comes with it -only makes me run harder and further from them. I know iam in denial, but that belief in being young and reckless, somewhere deep down is comforting in facing up to the routine of living out another day.

    The thing i miss most is to run wild and not worry about consequences least of all even knowing them - shall give away everything i own in return for those days of innocence.

    Good old days! good old days they were.

    Battery.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:49 PM  

    Rights reserved for the author.

Post a Comment

<< Home