Dileep Mouleesha

Monday, March 20, 2006

Promoting Yourself -- a book review



I walked into the library to renew an autobiography of Nelson Mandela. Little did I imagine I would pick up another book. While browsing through the latest arrivals section, the title “Promoting Yourself” did not appeal to me one bit. The preface read: “Welcome to the career guide for people who hate career guides. You know the books I am talking about: How to Get a Raise in 30 minutes; How to Become a CEO in 30 Days or Less“. I immediately exchanged the autobiography for the paperback.

The books punch line is “52 lessons for getting to the top and staying there.” From the first page to the last, the book does not for once sermonize you on what is to be done and what is not to be done. Infact, it enlightens you about the possible situations that might face which you dread facing or never dreamt of facing. The author, Hal Lancaster – who spent more than 30 years at The Wall Street Journal as a reporter, editor, bureau chief and a columnist, explains the situation using case studies and the various options available to him and the implication of the option the subject chose.

Written in simple English, the 52 lessons gives you an insight into today’s workplace. I believe Promoting Yourself makes the reader street smart by making you think what you would do if you faced a situation like that. It may not be as entertaining as Dilbert, the comic strip; but sure gives you the insight and wisdom to handle common dilemmas faced at work with its own tinge of humor.

Finally, is it a worth read? If I said No, I would be lying!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home