Dileep Mouleesha

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Synergy


I, as a person am very edgy, impatient and restless. I need to engage myself constantly; otherwise I feel that my life is slipping away right in front of my eyes. Not doing anything tires me and over sleeping leaves me with a hangover. I need something that would keep me occupied at all levels; mind, body and soul.

Running long distances has been one of my addictions. My restless mind, edgy soul and impatient body finds some kind of solace when I am sweating it out on the road. Five minutes into the run my heart rate stabilizes and it seems as if I am taking a stroll around the city.

Since I enjoy running so much, I plan to run a marathon shortly. The training demands me to run at least 50 kilometer that is spread over an entire week. Since, I had skipped running an entire week, I planned to compensate it over the weekend. Friday evening, I did a very satisfying 20 kilometer run, the following evening I scampered a 10 kilometer recovery run. That left me with 20 more kilometers short of my schedule. I planned to sweat it out on Monday morning. The goal was to reach my workplace which is 20 kilometer away from home. I thought it would be a cakewalk as I had done several 30 kilometer runs.

I started the run on an overcast and chilly Monday at the crack of dawn. Less than 5 minutes into the run I could feel that my legs did not have the strength, my steps were shorter than they generally have been. I could not raise my knees high enough and was dragging my feet on the ground. I could feel that I was burning calories that I did not have. I wanted to run, I knew I could. But the very thought of abandoning the run was not something I was willing to accept.

So I thought I would complete the run. Running for another couple of minutes I started gasping for breath. I knew I was failing. Humiliated, I thought of giving myself reasons for my inability to run. I thought I would have abandoned the run if I had a cramp in my leg. But there were no cramps. I thought I would have abandoned the run if some one needed help. But there was no one around, let alone anyone needing help.

I carried on scuttling, thinking of the times when I had passed by the same place but with much greater vigor. I thought I would hitch a ride but I felt ashamed because my T-shirt read “Real Hashers Run ON”. If I abandoned the run it would be a disgrace to my club and my club’s T-shirt. The conflict between my mind and my soul became stronger and stronger. My body kept running along the set path. I would run faster when I thought I would complete the run. I would run slower when I thought of giving up.

I was so preoccupied judging the conflict raging in me that I did not realise I had reached office. YES! I had completed the run successfully. And believe it or not I had finished the run faster than my previous best time. All in all it was another satisfying run.

I would be lying if I said that this kind of a conflict had never happened before. I encounter such conflicts every time I run. This is why running has kept me hooked, because it engages my mind, body and soul.

2 Comments:

  • Destiny only needs mind, by u have conquered even body and soul. But it would be nice if you could tell us what came out of synergy. I could not understand if you overcame an ordeal with you mind or is it a tentative step towards ur marathon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:35 AM  

    Rights reserved for the author.

  • you the word synergy..seems to have more meaning in your life..

    You seem to have energy for not only long runs but also for putting it down on paper..

    Anyways kudos and cheers to you..

    May this long run be worth every step

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:51 AM  

    Rights reserved for the author.

Post a Comment

<< Home