Dileep Mouleesha

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

I want to go home!

Would you not agree that every child when admonished craves for independence; when pampered, yearns for responsibilities; when given pocket money, hungers to make his own money; when given a free ride, pines to drive his own vehicle? Even I too dreamt of the days when I would live the life of an adult.

I reached adulthood faster than I ever imagined; wading my way through broken bones and bruised egos, through joyous days and unforgettable escapades. Before long an opportunity to live by myself came along. I grabbed it with both hands, to know how it would be and to know if I had what it took to live by myself in a different city.

Soon the heroic mission I embarked on seemed to show its true colors. I longed to be with my family, I missed the comfort of my friends, I did not like the food, I craved to be pampered. I missed simple things like the warmth of my nieces’ smile, my pillow, my computer, my music system and all the other things which I felt were too trivial for my existence earlier.

Now, two months into the quest, I detest heading back to my foolish pursuit. I feel like a little toddler being forcibly sent to school. I feel his pain and his trauma of leaving his entire world to go to a place which does not hold much significance. Going to my new home, I feel like I am going to a prison, a world of pretense, where my independence and my joy has been deposited with my landlord. I wail and scream in my head endlessly “I want to go home!”

I guess deep within we all are children, but too haughty to accept it…

2 Comments:

  • Really nice …looks like u r thinking of home too much.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:57 AM  

    Rights reserved for the author.

  • Your message really struck a chord somewhere… I agree that at some level we all crave for the place we call “home” .. the place where we truly belong, where we can throw away our masks and pretences and where we are appreciated for who we are. Most of us find this place as our parents home, with all the love and security. We realize their importance when we venture out on our own into the big bad world. This scenario is no different when a girl leaves her parent’s home to stay with her husband’s family… but if she says, ‘ I want to go home’ , how many will listen??

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:01 AM  

    Rights reserved for the author.

Post a Comment

<< Home